Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Talk about everything & anything here

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

New Interview - The Guardian

Go down 
AuthorMessage
The Wiz
The Wiz

Female
Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2007-05-03

New Interview - The Guardian Empty
PostSubject: New Interview - The Guardian   New Interview - The Guardian Icon_minitime2nd June 2007, 20:34

Melanie C talks about her depression, her exercise addiction, being dropped by her record label - and the chances of a Spice Girls reunion

Interview by Hannah Pool
Thursday May 31, 2007
The Guardian

Is it true that being in the Spice Girls made you depressed?
I wouldn't say being in the band depressed me. I would say having such a dramatic life change at such a young age and all the pressures that come along with that, the way I handled it and what I put myself through, resulted in my being exhausted and depressed. It wasn't just depression - it was an eating disorder as well. That was in 2000.

Did you have therapy? Did you take medication?
The works. I took different medication, I was having therapy, counselling and alternative therapies as well. I've found a fantastic acupuncturist. I've been having it for years. I've had pins in my face, my ears, everything. It's a sort of pleasure-pain thing, a bit like a tattoo.

You've got 10 tattoos. Do you regret them?
I've had moments of regretting them. Don't get me wrong, I love my tattoos and I like looking at tattoos in photographs, but now when I think about getting older, you can look after yourself but you can't stop ageing completely. So there is going to be a point when I'm quite wrinkly and tattooed.

You used to exercise compulsively. What is your exercise regime at the moment?
If I'm in London, I've got a personal trainer I see twice a week, and we'll do cross training, some rowing and running and boxing and skipping, a bit of free weights. And I'll get out running or cycling another couple of times a week. Then, if I have time, I stick in a yoga class as well. I really enjoy it and it helps with depression. I suppose it's the endorphins.

That still sounds like a lot.
I'm kind of in check, because I got to such an extreme before. Now I can't be bothered - even with food. If I think I wouldn't mind losing a few pounds for a video I just haven't got the willpower that I used to have, thank God, because that got me to quite an unhealthy place. I'm determined and I'll work hard, but I've got a healthy balance now.

How did you feel when you were dropped by your record label?
Mixed feelings. I knew that they were starting to lose faith in me, so I was actually quite relieved to go. I looked at my options and starting my own label was the most exciting thing. Of course there's a financial risk there. If it doesn't work I'll be gutted, but I'll have a great time spending that money.

Do you worry about any of the former Spice Girls?
I'll always worry about all of my friends, whether they're ex-Spice Girls or my buddies, and luckily everybody is in a pretty good place now.

Do you worry about Victoria's weight?
I don't really want to talk about that.

Have you spoken to Mel B about her relationship and break-up with Eddie Murphy?
I haven't spoken to Mel for a couple of years.

Why not?
There's no rift or anything, it's just circumstances. Sometimes you just lose touch, but honestly there's no reason for it.

Victoria and Mel B have had children, and Emma's pregnant. You're 33. Do you feel left out?
It's silly to say I feel left out. Everybody's life is their own and this is the life that I've chosen. I really hope that one day I will be a mum. I look forward to that phase in my life, but it's not top of my list. I look at my friends with babies and it's really nice to go and visit them and have a cuddle, and then give them back.

You have released four solo albums and yet all anyone asks is whether the Spice Girls will reunite. Doesn't that annoy you?
Every time it comes up I have to deny it. There are no plans for a Spice Girls tour that I am aware of. I saw Emma and Geri a few weeks ago and of course we talk about the rumours and things that are going on, but it's the last thing on everybody's mind at the moment, so it's frustrating for me. The Spice Girls was a phenomenon and it's a part of British pop history and I'm very, very proud to be a part of that. But sometimes I just think, oh please go away, you're stealing my thunder.

So, should I put my last fiver on a reunion?
No, don't bother.

· The single Carolyna is out on June 18.

http://music.guardian.co.uk/pop/story/0,,2091851,00.html#article_continue
Back to top Go down

New Interview - The Guardian
Page 1 of 1