Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Talk about everything & anything here

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Do Looks Trump True Talent?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
jediknight1

Male
Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2007-06-15

Do Looks Trump True Talent? Empty
PostSubject: Do Looks Trump True Talent?   Do Looks Trump True Talent? Icon_minitime15th June 2007, 20:36

Okay. I know this is gonna make sound like an old fogey, and indeed I might be one....but I read somewhere (maybe in an old fogey mag like TIME) that this generation of women singers (including Britney) has the burden of having to be attractive/beautiful/sexy/hot as well as having to have SOME talent.

Whether it's because of the impact of music videos - which weren't around until I was 21 or so - or our overemphasis on sex appeal, if Brit had the musical talent of an Ella Fitzgerald or a Shirley Bassey and didn't have her almost-ready-for Playboy looks, I doubt she'd even be discussed here.

What do you think?
Back to top Go down
bookworm

Female
Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2007-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Do Looks Trump True Talent?   Do Looks Trump True Talent? Icon_minitime16th June 2007, 16:56

I completely agree with you. I too am an old fogey, but I feel that if so many of these young girls and guys had REAL talent, and not that which is just managed by a bunch of yes people, then they wouldn't screw up in the headlines every other day.
Back to top Go down
BettyBlue

Female
Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2007-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Do Looks Trump True Talent?   Do Looks Trump True Talent? Icon_minitime16th June 2007, 18:43

I think that the old fogey has a point, though. Look at the faces and bodies of today's top female stars or even their videos. What do you see, mostly? Very overt "sex appeal" to catch the eyes of guys (and some gals) and keep their attention.

Madonna did her fair share of the "sex" thing, too, and I think in some way she might have been sort of a trendsetter. Thing is, though, Madge does have talent, whereas a few of the girls mentioned right here on this site only have slivers of talent and lots of good looks.

I was looking at pictures of Kate Smith, one of the 1940s most popular singers (she made "God Bless America" a big hit) and realized that in today's world, she'd never have reached stardom by her voice alone.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do Looks Trump True Talent?   Do Looks Trump True Talent? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Do Looks Trump True Talent?
Page 1 of 1